Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Homemade Laundry Soap




Goal: Cut Down On Laundry Expenses

Laundry detergent, Oxiclean, & fabric softener were taking a big chunk out of my grocery budget, so I tried finding a way to clean clothes for less. I'm pretty picky about the way detergent cleans (and smells), so I had been using Gain powdered detergent, Oxiclean for stains, and Gain liquid fabric softener. Our family does at least 10 loads of laundry a week, so this was adding up to be quite an expense!


Here is a link that describes the savings in detail
(scroll to the bottom of the page).
It is estimated to cost $0.1 per load with this recipe!


Homemade Laundry
Soap Recipe

1/3 white bar soap such as Ivory, Dial, Fels Naptha
½ cup washing soda
½ cup borax powder

~You will also need a small bucket, about 2 gallon size~
Grate the soap and put it in a sauce pan. Add 6 cups water and heat it until the soap melts.  Add the washing soda and the borax and stir until it is dissolved. Remove from heat. Pour 4 cups hot water into the bucket. Now add your soap mixture and stir. Now add 1 gallon plus 6 cups of water and stir. Let the soap sit for about 24 hours and it will gel. You use ½ cup per load.

Here are detailed pictures of the process:
http://www.thefamilyhomestead.com/laundrysoap2.htm

IT WORKED!! I LOVE IT!!


I have been making my own laundry soap for 3 months now and I am very happy with the results. I make a huge batch of soap once a month and store it in old detergent containers. It is not difficult and only takes me about 15 minutes.


I bought the washing soda & borax
from alice.com for $7.50 including shipping.
You can also find the washing soda at ACE Hardware
& the borax at Wal-Mart.
I used dial soap since that is what we use
in the shower and I had some sitting around.
I poured the mixture into
old detergent containers. : )

I use vinegar in the rinse cycle to eliminate
odors and keep clothes fresh & soft.

I still use bleach and Oxiclean occasionally
for tough stains.





*UPDATE*

As of February 1, 2012 we will have successfully used homemade
laundry soap for eighteen months.  It works fabulously for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment